NATIONAL ACTION: A small group that is comfortable with traveling/COVID risk will be on the ground in DC this week. They are planning a demonstration to bring attention to the fact that our people are dying in institutions. Therefore, we are fighting to get included in the Covid relief bill: 1. Relief for our workers 2. Funding/emphasis on HCBS 3. Resources for PPE 4. Resources for housing once people get out of institutions and 5. To make sure they PROTECT MEDICAID. For more info, please see attached word doc “Action Demands”
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
1. Mark down THIS FRIDAY OCT 2nd @ 2PM to watch National ADAPT’s FB live stream of their People’s Hearing. 2. USE TWITTER to advocate for HCBS funding in a COVID-19 relief bill.
- Use the following talking points: https://nationaladapt.org/covid-talking-points/
- And the hashtags listed BELOW
3. Send us a photo of yourself holding a poster with disability rights slogans to share on social media.
- Please share this on your OWN social media account, as well as share this to us so we can put it on our account & send it to National ADAPT. See our examples attached.
- What to put on posters? check here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14ZfDRDck8R8Dq1PkFGRynQAfAqAi0tD-w6iSxbYvBwo/edit?ts=5f727bea
- For any social media posting, use the following hashtags: #DisabledNotDisposable #ADAPTandSurvive #LivesWorthyOfLife #ADAPTpplsHearing
- Additionally: #COVID #WhatWeNeed for COVID relief package topic or #HandsOffTheACA #ACA #SaveMedicaid #SCOTUS for SCOTUS nominee posts about threats to the ACA and Medicaid
- TAG national ADAPT in your postings: Website: NationalADAPT.org @RealNatlADAPT on Twitter & Instagram, ADAPT National on Facebook and TikTok
- PLEASE do image descriptions and captioning. Info here.
4. Write to your local congressperson! Use National ADAPT’s guide HERE:
5. Record a video (no longer than a minute) with your story and WHY we need funding for home and community based services, ESPECIALLY during a pandemic. Examples ATTACHED.
- Instructions: https://nationaladapt.org/covid19/
- Send to us directly, and we will share with National ADAPT for their action
6. Purchase ADAPT merch! https://www.customink.com/fundraising/adapt-october-2020-national-action-shirt?utm_campaign=desktop-campaign-page-share-v3&utm_content=adapt-october-2020-national-action-shirt&utm_medium=social&utm_source=copy-link
THANK YOU for all of your support and advocacy. These matters are URGENT. We hope to hear from you. Please reach out with any questions.
Image 1: Jessica has shoulder length brown hair and is seated in her wheelchair. She is wearing a brown shirt and her trache. She is holding up a white poster with blue font that reads “Our Homes not Nursing Homes!!!” with a cartoon outline of a house.
Image 2: Nina has long brown hair, black glasses, and is seated in her wheelchair. She is holding a white sign that says “Disabled Lives are Worth Living” in green underlined font, and “End Institutionalization. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH” underneath in black font. On the left, there is the ADAPT slogan that reads “Downstate NY ADAPT” with the wheelchair stick figure breaking free of handcuffs.